Friday, December 1, 2017

Seven Hills of Rome



The Seven Hills of Rome are Aventine Hill (Aventino), Caelian Hill (Celio), Capitoline Hill (Campidoglio), Esquiline Hill (Esquilino), Palatine Hill (Palatino), Quirinal Hill (Quirinale), and Viminal Hill (Viminale).  Vatican Hill (Vaticano) lying northwest of the Tiber is not counted among the traditional Seven Hills but of course it holds many historic treasures.  According to tradition Romulus founded the city that was named after him on the Palatine Hill in 753 BCE. 

The Seven Hills were occupied by small settlements that participated in a series of religious games, which eventually led to a bond of friendship between them.  In the early 4th century BCE, walls were constructed around the hills to protect the city.  Most of the important historic monuments, buildings and parks are on the Aventine, Caelian, Esquiline, Quirinal, Viminal and Vatican Hills.  City hall is on the Capitoline Hill and the main archaeological site is on the Palatine Hill.

I've been fascinated with Rome since studying Latin in high school and visiting Rome with my Latin class in 1972.  This January will be my seventh visit to the Eternal City.  On this trip I'm especially looking forward to exploring the Aventine and the Vatican to research the lives of women in the early church.  I plan to make a few side trips to see the catacombs in Rome and Naples.  I'll post my itinerary as soon as it is finalized so you can follow along.  Thank you for taking an interest in my work.